2016 Railway Budget – Stocks to look at
The Railway Budget is the Annual Financial Statement of the state Indian Railways, which handles rail transport in India. The Railway Budget for the year 2016 was presented yesterday, February 25, 2016, by the Honourable Minister, Suresh Prabhu. The Indian Railways is the world’s seventh largest commercial or utility employer, by number of employees, with over 1.376 million employees at last count.
While it is too early to comment on what the Railway Budget holds for the stock market, we have listed down 9 railway-related companies and a brief about each one of them:
- BEML (formerly known as Bharat Earth Movers Limited) was established in May 1964 as a public sector undertaking for the manufacture of rail coaches and spare parts and mining equipment at its Bangalore Complex. The Government of India holds 54 per cent of total equity in the company. BEML manufactures and supplies Rail Coaches, Metro Cars, AC EMUs, OHE Cars, Steel and Aluminium Wagons to the rail sector.
- Kalindee Rail Nirman (Engineers) Limited, popularly known as “KALINDEE” is into the execution of Railway Track, Signaling & Telecommunication projects on a turnkey basis. Kalindee specialises in Railway Transport infrastructure for urban, passenger and freight traffic in line with the Government Of India’s huge investments for rapid development in these areas.
- Alstom T&D is engaged in power generation, power transmission and rail infrastructure. The company also builds high-and-medium-voltage substations and develops technologies to manage power grids worldwide.
- Siemens Ltd. in India has emerged as a leading inventor, innovator and implementor of leading-edge technology enabled solutions operating in the core business segments of Industry, Energy and Healthcare. The company also offers products and solutions in railway signaling and safety systems, traffic control and automation, electrification, traction equipment for locomotives and multiple unit systems and mass transit vehicles.
- Hind Rectifiers is engaged in developing, designing, manufacturing and marketing Power Semiconductor, Power Electronic Equipments and Railway Transportation Equipment. They specialise in the manufacture of equipment like battery chargers, High Voltage and High Current Rectifiers for Railways.
- Titagarh Wagons Ltd. is primarily engaged in the manufacturing Railway Wagons & EMUs (Coaches), Bailey Bridges, Heavy Earth Moving and Mining Equipment, Steel and SG iron castings of moderate to complex configuration. The company also manufactures products for the Indian defence establishment, such as special wagons, shelters and other engineering equipment.
- Texmaco Rail & Engineering Limited operates in two business segments: heavy engineering division and steel foundry division. The company manufactures a diverse range of products, such as railway freight cars, and hydro-mechanical equipment.
- Stone India is the undisputed leader in locomotive brake systems and has a wide range of mechanical and electrical products for the rail road industry, including Pantographs.
- Kernex Microsystems (India) is engaged in the manufacture and sale of train collision avoidance system that integrates new technology with existing train control and operating systems.
Source: Financial Express and other inputs