Loss Aversion – Cut Losses Short & Let Winners Run
If you’ve been trading for a while, you’ve probably heard the following ubiquitous mantra of trading: “Cut Your Losses Short & Let Your Winners Run”.
Why Should You?
Stocks can literally go to zero. It happened many times before and will happen in the future, regardless of how big the company is.
MANY oil and coal companies recently filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy and their stocks got delisted. You may also remember Lehman Brother and General Motors. What happens when your stock falls off a cliff and gets delisted? You simply lose all the money you invested in that stock.
Continue Reading →
To be a profitable trader you must overcome these ten things:
- You must beat the market benchmark you are competing against or you might was well just buy and hold that index.
- You must beat your emotions by following a trading plan.
- You must beat your ego by taking losses early when you are proven wrong.
- You must beat your greed by managing your position sizing to limit your risk exposure.
- You must beat your fears by letting a winning trade run when there is no reason to exit.
- You must beat your desire to predict the future by reacting to what price action is actually happening.
- You must beat the trader on the other side of your trade.
- You have to make enough money to beat your commission costs.
- You must not let the market beat you up with too many losses and make you quit.
- You must beat the naysayers who think active profitable trading is impossible.
The original post is authored by Steve at newtraderu.com and is available here.
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Google+